Maps help people to get from point A to point B and understand lay of the land. Communities today exist in virtual spaces but they are in many ways mini-societies that have a structure and way of functioning. Just like how maps help guide people to their destinations, communities can help their members by having 'Getting started' guide or a 'Community Map' to guide members to get the best out of the community.
Here are a few things you could include in the Community Map to make it easier for your members:
- Quick introduction about the community, who's it for, its purpose and you
- Highlight key people to reach out to from the community in need of help and how to contact them
- Show you members where your community engages and what your members should look out for - Slack channels that they should care about, invite links on email etc
- Include a walkthrough of your community (screenshots or short Loom video tour)
- Highlight rituals that your members should focus on e.g. weekly check-ins or paths your members should take depending on their stage (check out how Salesforce uses Trails)
- Mention top 3 actions members should take to ensure they get involved with least effort